As we commemorate our 15th year in operations this month of October 2022, we’ve learnt some valuable lessons along the way. None more so than from our co-founder, Chibuzor Onwurah, who over the years has been a beacon of wisdom, generosity and inspiration.
Every week, Chibuzor shares some valuable nuggets with our internal staff on life and work, here are 15 of the lessons we love the most. Take your pens or bookmark this page!
- If you want to go fast, go alone. Want to go far, go together. It would have been more difficult coming this far without my partner and a solid team.
- Relationships > Technical skills. This equation holds true nine times out of ten. Thus! while it is very important to build up skills, also invest in quality relationships.
- A relationship is not what you can get but what you can give. Over time, you will get yours multifold. However, if you focus only on what you can get, you end up alone.
- Your Integrity and values speak for you when you are not in the room, and open doors for you (especially if you also have the relationship part covered).
- It is not enough to have great ideas. One who executes small achieves more than a big dreamer
- Be humble, understand your limitations and recognise when to reach out for help. Be it releasing the reins to others to lead, getting coaching, getting more education or acquiring new skills. The first house built in a village isn’t usually the finest so that you started the business or initiative doesn’t mean you will always be the best.
- Luck plays a big role in success. It is what places you at the right place at the right time, and the one who shapes luck is God.
- Faith can keep you going when common sense dictates you should give up. Often times your success is on the other side of your faith. And the ultimate source of faith for me again is God.
- Celebrating small wins is essential. Helps you realise how far you have come, appreciate those who have helped you along the way and renew your strength for the milestones ahead.
- Family and health nothing matters more. The struggles of life and desire for success pale in significance if you fail in these two. In fact, the enjoyment of success is with these two. Do not sacrifice them for success or you will lose them and the success loses meaning.
- A structured life is a solid life. A structured business is an institution. Many times it is easier and tempting to wing things on instinct, but it does not scale.
- Invest in yourself and your future. You are the only you, that you have.
- Build others. Of what use is a single tree in a forest? Over time the success of the people around you that you have impacted will bring you more joy than money. That is why even the Bible said to be fruitful and multiply. Multiply yourself not just familiarly, but by developing those around you.
- Know when to stop. This is a paradox when juxtaposed with faith. This life is about balance and realising when to channel your energies in a different direction.
- Focus! A scattered approach dissipates energy. A single beam pierces the darkness. This point has been a struggle for Seamfix over the years and has slowed us down. Find focus and you find the most impact and resilience. We have been blessed to be able to keep refining our focus over the years and we will keep sharpening the beam.
Enjoyed this? You can download a copy of these lessons in a PDF file so you can save and review them anytime you want. Just click here to access the file.
15 years have come and gone with millions of customers impacted and thousands of businesses empowered to do better work. We look forward to the next 1 billion customers. Keep up with our journey by following our social media page on Linkedin and Twitter.